Get on the path to results today.
Get on the path to results today.
A Lawyer for Artists, Art Dealers, Museums, Collectors, Realtors, Charitable Donors, Business Owners, Franchisee's, Galleries, Auction Houses and Collectors
Joy is a legal expert in all aspects of business law; real property law, personal property law; tax law including capital gains tax, sales tax, and charitable contributions; and appraisal law - all related to the asset management of business and tangible personal property.
Joy Berus assists corporations, limited liability companies and owners in acquisitions, sales, consignments, valuations, holding companies, loans, business management, leases, agreements, historical property both real and personal, and other such business and personal assets.
Books & Articles
• Author and quoted contributor on “Tips on Donating Art for the Donor,”
CBS Marketwatch Retirement Newsletter
• Author and quoted contributor on “Tips on Donating Art for the Donor”,
Investor’s Business Daily, Investors.com
• Author and quoted contributor on “Donating Art: Ten Tips Every Planner Should Know,” Planned Giving Design Center, PGDC.com
• Author and quoted contributor “Tips on Donating Art for the Professional”, Steve Leimberg’s Charitable Planning Newsletter, 55
• Author and quoted contributor "The Art and Collectibles Capital Gains Tax Treatment Parity Act", Steve Leimberg's Charitable Planning Newsletter, 89
• Author “The Art of Donating Art: The Charitable Contribution of Art, Antiques and Collectibles,” The Journal of Practical Estate Planning, April-May 2008, a CCH Publication
• Author “The Art of Donating Art: The Charitable Contribution of Art, Antiques and Collectibles,” The Journal of Retirement Planning, September-October 2008, a CCH Publication
• Author “The Art of Valuation of Art, Antiques and Collectibles in an Estate,” The Journal of Practical Estate Planning, December 2008–January 2009, a CCH Publication.
• Author “The Art of Donating Art” Heritage Auction Galleries Trusts & Estates Newsletter, 2nd Quarter 2010
• Author, the chapter; “The Role of the Personal Property Appraiser in Charitable Contribution Appraisals,” in the textbook, “The Appraisal of Personal Property - Principles, Theories, and Practice Methods for the Professional Appraiser,” 2011
• Quoted Contributor, Forbes Magazine:
George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
University of California, Irvine
American Society of Appraisers
Speeches & Seminars
Ms. Berus has lectured extensively on the business of owning art and collections, art as an asset class, appraisal law, tax law and other art law topics to various bank and trust client groups, wealth and investment groups, non-profit organization support groups, donor advised fund groups, museums, the Orange County Performing Arts Center, the American Society of Appraisers (including the IRS & American Society of Appraisers Symposiums on IRS Personal Property Tax and Valuation Issues, lecturer with Chief, Art Appraisal Services Karen Carolan, 2006, 2007, 2008), California Lawyers for the Arts sponsored talks, and various professional CPA, estate planning and wealth advisory organizations.
University of San Francisco (B.S. 1984)
Western State University College of Law (J.D. 1991)
American Jurisprudence Award, Legal Writing
Certification in Appraisal Studies in Fine and Decorative Arts, American Society of Appraisers
State Bar of California
U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
U.S. District Court, Central District of California
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
Licensed Real Estate Broker, State of California, sixteen years 01/17/2004 to 01/16/2020
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Member, California Bar Association
Affiliate Member, American Society of Appraisers
Affiliate & Friend, Appraisers Association of America
Member, California Lawyers for the Arts
Member of the Board of Directors of Trov
Member of the Board of Directors of VSA arts of California, 1995 – 2005
Member of the Board of Directors of Center Stars, Segerstrom Center for the Arts, 2006 – 2010
Member of the Board of Directors of Visionaries, Orange County Museum of Art, 2013 - 2018